Friday, November 13, 2009

Veteran's Day Thoughts

City of Wilton Manors did a fine job in creating a tribute to all veterans of all wars. I did the invocation, as a veteran of the Korean War.

As I looked around the room at those attending, I was struck with I know almost all the people here. The City Commissioners, the Police, the City Employees, the Veterans and the Residents of Wilton Manors. What clicked is that Wilton Manors is my home, I choose to live here, work as a Priest with the Chapel of Divine Mercy here and feel very comfortable here. I grew up in Boston, lived and worked there but honestly never felt comfortable and at ease there as I do here. Hats off to you Wilton Manors.

I also checked out that the largest group of veterans in attendance was a gay group of veterans, they also served for all of us. Many of them served under the fear they could have been kicked out, disgraced and not allowed to receive any veteran benefits. And hats off to them too. Strong people those men and women.

No comments:

Post a Comment